Author Topic: An Update of the Bathurst Bike Plan is Urgently Needed  (Read 4651 times)

Mark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
An Update of the Bathurst Bike Plan is Urgently Needed
« on: August 18, 2020, 09:58:56 PM »
Updating the Bathurst Bike Plan:
The current Bathurst Bike Plan is referred to as “Bathurst Community Access & Cycling Plan 2011” and is believed to be built from a review of 1993 Bike Plan which a number of the current CycleSafe Bathurst members assisted Garry Taunton (CB Bugs) and the Council to draw up. This 2011 Bike Plan is out of date.

"Why develop a bike plan? - One of the official reasons to develop a bike plan is so you can take a coordinated and strategic approach to delivering cycling infrastructure and promotional programs in your community. Through the development process, you will establish cycling objectives for your area or organisation, and identify the activities needed to achieve these objectives." 
Or in other words a well documented up-to-date Bike Plan will allow a city to access money to build modern cycling infrastructure.

Please have a look at the Current Bathurst Bike Plan (Bathurst Community Access & Cycling Plan 2011) and consider if it is still relevant?
You can find it on the Bathurst Regional Council Website HERE --
https://www.bathurst.nsw.gov.au/images/stories/council/studies/ENV24_Bike%20Plan%20v5%20_for%20Ccl%20adoption1.pdf

NOW To assist you in evaluating the Bathurst Bike Plan - the RMS has created a document to explain what a modern Bike Plan needs to look like-
Click here to see what the RMS wants the Bike Plan to look like to tap into their resources -
https://www.rms.nswgov.au/business-industry/partners-suppliers/lgr/downloads/programs/documents/bikeplanv2.pdf

Mark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: An Update of the Bathurst Bike Plan is Urgently Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 10:17:49 PM »
HERE IS A FEW THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
I believe that After 10 years the “Bathurst Community Access & Cycling Plan 2011” requires Urgent Review –

Just Briefly -
Firstly I am sure all of you would believe Section 4.5 (Road Safety) response requires review in light of recent accidents. (see more in appendix1 below)

Secondly I believe this group would be very keen to forward information on recent incidents/cycling Hazards to council via the Hazard Report Forms recommended in section 4:3 – sadly as far as I know the form is not available  (see more in appendix2 below) - However I sound add here that the council has a fairly open door to cycling sports groups concerns - I guess the point being the concerns of general cyclist as noted in the plan.

Thirdly - Surveys and Stats of 2011 (see 3.2.2) – need to be redone and re considered – (see more in appendix3 below)

Fourthly – review the Engineering Response of 2011 and consider if it meeting the current push for Active Transport Greener Planet & the increased Cycling Tourism benefits ….. See Section 6 in the Plan

THE FOLLOWING IS A SEGMENT OF THE BATHURST PLAN
Appendix 1 - This is some of the info from “4. PLANNING RESPONSE”

4.5 Road Safety
• Danger at roundabouts and intersections limit the use of the footpaths and cycleways.
• Increase awareness for vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists of each other’s responsibilities.
• Make the on-road environment a safer place to walk and ride.

Key Recommendations
a) Council’s Guidelines for Engineering Works and Civil Engineering Construction Guidelines to be amended to reflect that if intersection works are being completed (e.g. a new roundabout), the existing footpath and cycleway connectivity is to be considered in the design.
b) Develop a community education program for drivers and cyclists highlighting each others responsibilities (e.g. Share the Road type campaigns).
c) Link into cycle events for major education programs.
d) Implement parts of the ‘Sharing the Road’ program produced by VicRoads to assist the education of cyclists and motorists alike of their respective obligations while using public roads.
e) Encourage the acceptance of the Code of Conduct for cyclists.

Appendix 2
Attached is some of the info from “4.3 MAINTENANCE OF FOOTPATHS AND CYCLEWAYS” incluing the availability of a cycling “Hazard Report Form” –
• Footpaths and cycleways are to be regularly maintained.
• Hazard Report Forms to be available for the public.
• Catheads and vegetation to be maintained.

Key Recommendations
a) Develop a policy for the maintenance of the footpath and cycleway networks.
b) Develop a Hazard Report Form and make it available on Council’s website.   An example of a Hazard Report Form is provided at Appendix 10.
c) Council investigate the options for a spray program for selective control of catheads adjacent to the cycleway network.   Information on caltrope is provided at Appendix 11.   If a viable option is found, include the cost as part of its annual Management Plan as a line item.
d) Include maintenance of the network as a budget line item.

Appendix 3
Attached is some of the stats from – “3.2.2” - where Council received 96 survey responses in relation to the use of the existing cycleway network.   This is just some of details of the cyclist survey results.

Support facilities needed
• Directional signage and directional markers appeared to be popular with 16% and 10% of the responses respectively.
• Water stations and toilets received 14% and 12% of the responses respectively.
• 13% of the responses related to the provision of bike racks.
• Shade trees, seats and shelter received 13%, 6% and 4% of the responses respectively.
• 8% of the responses related to the provision of additional lighting

Difficulties in the existing network
• Missing links in the network was the most popular response with 19% of the responses.
• Not enough on-road or off-road paths represented 16% and 12% of the responses respectively.
• Not enough safe places for bike parking represented 11% of the responses received.
• 13% of responses related to insufficient signage of the cycleways or not enough information about where the paths are located.
• 13% of the responses also related to the poor maintenance of the cycleways and the verges.
• 8% of the responses related to users sharing the cycleways with pedestrians.
• 4% of the responses preferred an asphalt surface to that of a concrete surface.
• Catheads, vehicle bollards and traffic danger represented 3% of the responses.

Other limitations to the use of the network
• Traffic danger generally and at intersections received 64% of the responses.
• 15% of responses related to the condition of the cycleway e.g. width of the path, poor maintenance, not enough linked paths.
• 9% of the responses related to poor lighting of the paths.
• Lack of driver awareness, lack of bike parking and nothing all received 3% of the responses respectively.
• 2% of the responses related to the climate and distance.

Mark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 10:31:39 PM »
A need for Hazard Reporting in the Bathurst Bike Plan:
So in line with the Bike Plan and RMS / Transport for NSW --- should we consider a Hazard Report Form - (maybe it could exist in the CSB Google Form format)

NOTE - Bathurst Council doesn’t seem to have Hazard Report Form (even though it is a recommendation) – but the RMS do - they have dropped the manual form idea and now just have a contract page format - where you go through a number of stages

NOTE 2 - So it is interesting where we sit in Hazard Reporting - I have been waiting to have a few more read the Bike Plan documents before raising it.
eg What is the difference between a State (RMS) Hazard Report and a Council Hazard?
- You would think it would just concern ownership (ie a council or RMS road) but it seems the RMS collects info on all roads.. Nice to understand the Hazard Reporting Process.. and then we (CSB) as a group get involved).

Mark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 10:33:58 PM »
THANKS FOR THIS FEEDBACK MJ

I have just (after many years ) re-read the BRC Bike Plan and make the following comment:

1. The Plan is now quite old, given has changed since it was written well done to those of you who envisioned this group and the opportunity to contribute to the Council’ s vision for the future in respect of cycling using this as a starting point;

2. I agree with Mark for the need for Hazard Reporting. The existing Plan mentions the danger of ‘roundabouts’ only once and ‘intersections’ a couple of times. It has the stated goal of “reducing traffic accidents”; but is silent on hazard reporting. Any new planning should include a mechanism for Hazard Reporting for pedestrians and cyclists alike. Arguably also for cars and other users e.g. trucks;

3. I found it difficult to distinguish (from the maps), dedicated shared pedestrian/cycleway paths from cycleways on the road shoulder. Although I seem to recall Bill and Griffo were doing some work in this space;

4. Safe cycling must be a Council priority, and where off-road cycleways are not possible, Council needs to address the risks associated with riding on the road (particularly roundabouts). Good signage, stencils on the road, green painted lanes, reduced road speed limits (in the CBD) could be options where on-road cycling is the only option.

5. Last year I cycled from Manly to Mona Vale which included sections of footpath which the local council designated as shared way between cyclists and pedestrians. I think they most likely did this as the roads were busy and dangerous for cyclists, and with bike stencils on the footpath and signage, cyclists were not going to be fined by the police for riding on the footpath. Obviously mutual courtesies and consideration of other users is required. In certain places it may also work in Bathurst;

6.  I recall my time at TAFE when I had bike racks installed and made change rooms/showers available to students/ staff and actively encouraged riding to TAFE. Unfortunately there was minimal takeup with the feeling being that it was not safe to ride to campus during peak times;
7. The conversion of the levy bank network to cycleways is arguably an option. With connectivity created to allow safe navigation between the gaps, they may present a good safe option for families and be another attraction for cycle tourists;

8. Installation of bike racks at cafes would be great, but there usage is problematic if people don’t feel safe getting there. I think only Harvest at the VIC has racks at the moment.

Mark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 10:35:46 PM »
THANKS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK BM

I agree with your summation of the 2011 BRC Cycling Plan.  The document it is based on information and research available at the time. To upgrade the plan this group can make a considerable contribution rather than revisiting public forums and questionaries etc. There are still gaps in the information including the research underway by  Peter Simmons.

2011 BRC Cycling Plan

The 2011 plan has been primarily been used as an internal planning document.  The main deficiency is that it is a static plan and there has been no mechanism to monitor its progress or introduce new data.  There is no problem with the base  maps only with the way in which the data are used.
Council currently has the data, technology and expertise to create a web based map that is interactive and able to be utilised by planners, recreational cyclists and tourists and be easily accessed from the BRC website.  The SINGLE map should have:

Entire regional council coverage
Zoom capability
Ability to switch on/off all independent layers (current, proposed etc)
Completion dates for proposed pathways
Road surfaces
Speed limits
Riding time between chosen points
Rural road users (quarry trucks, farm vehicles)
Traffic hazards
Points of interest
Water stops
Toilets
Ability to be upgraded as new data becomes available
Ability to attribute all data features (point to with cursor to reveal information)
Ability to print parts/whole map.
Link incident reports to map

Definitions
An index to the map should give a clear definition of the following:
Competition cyclists
Recreational cyclists
"Mum dad and the kids" cyclists
Pathways
Cycle ways
Shared cycle/pathways
Designated cycle ways
Cycle routes
On road routes
Recreational cycle routes.

Signposting
All routes shown on the maps should  be signposted reflecting the signage shown on the map.
This should include rural recreational routes, e.g. The road to Newbridge might be signposted "Caution: Popular Cycling Route"